National Startup Canada Awards winners announced
Nine Canadian entrepreneurs, businesses and support organizations to be awarded national honour
TORONTO, November 24, 2015 – Startup Canada (www.StartupCan.ca) announced today a former Prime Minister, an innovation hub trailblazer and a globally-recognized wedding accessories and decor company are among the national recipients of the 2015 Startup Canada Awards (www.StartupAward.ca).
The Right Honourable Paul Martin, founder of the Capital for Aboriginal Prosperity and Entrepreneurship Fund; Communitech CEO Iain Klugman; and Medicine Hat-based Weddingstar will join 17-year-old Alex Gillis, CEO of Bitness.io; Vancouver’s Victory Square Labs; sustainable superfood producers Entomo Farms; industrial analytic app maker RtTech Software; Accel-Rx President Natalie Dakers and; Tom Fath, owner of The Fath Group at the CN Tower Dec. 1 to accept their awards.
“Congratulations to the winners of the 2015 Startup Canada Awards, each of whom embody the spirit of entrepreneurship and who have exemplified excellence, integrity and exceptional impact through their efforts, enterprises and ethos,” said Victoria Lennox, co-founder and CEO of Startup Canada.
“Entrepreneurship is about human endeavour; it is about unleashing human potential to advance our society, economy and humanity. Canada was built by entrepreneurs and it is a privilege to have the opportunity to celebrate and showcase these magnificent Canadians who have collectively raised the tide for entrepreneurship and innovation.”
Regional winners were celebrated at grassroots events throughout October and November in Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Ottawa.
The national winners were selected by a National Adjudication Committee, which includes some of Canada’s leading entrepreneurship and industry experts including: Marissa McTasney, CEO of Moxie Trades; Frank O’Dea, Co-founder of Second Cup; Angela Tran Kingyens, investor at Version One Ventures; Gerry Pond, Co-founder and Chairman of East Valley Ventures; and Andy Nulman, President of Just for Laughs.
The national recipients will be recognized for the following Startup Canada Awards:
- Rt. Hon. Paul Martin, founder of the Capital for Aboriginal Prosperity and Entrepreneurship Fund | Adam Chowaniec Lifetime Achievement Award, presented by Wolf Blass
- Iain Klugman, CEO of Communitech | Startup Canada Award for Entrepreneur Promotion, presented by TruShield Insurance
- Victory Square Labs | Startup Canada Award for Entrepreneurship Support, presented by BDC
- Natalie Dakers, President and CEO of Accel-Rx | Startup Canada Entrepreneur of the Year Award, presented by Scotiabank
- Alex Gillis, co-founder and CEO of Bitness.io |Startup Canada Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award, presented by MNP LLP
- Tom Fath, owner of The Fath Group | Startup Canada Senior Entrepreneur of the Year Award, presented by Gerry Pond
- Entomo Farms | Startup Canada Award for Sustainable Development, presented by TELUS
- RtTech Software | Startup Canada Award for Innovation, presented by Intuit Canada
- Weddingstar | Startup Canada Award for International Trade, presented by UPS
As the hallmark event celebrating and distinguishing Canadian entrepreneurship, the Startup Canada Awards can be likened to the Oscars for the entrepreneurship community. In its second year, hundreds of nominations were submitted from across Canada.
Members of the media are invited to attend the ceremony at the CN Tower on Dec. 1 for interviews and photo opportunities. To RSVP and to schedule interviews, please contact:
Communications and Marketing Manager, Startup Canada
About the Startup Canada Awards
The 2015 Startup Canada Awards are proudly presented in partnership with Intuit Canada and TruShield Insurance, and with the support of major industry partners including Gerry Pond, MNP LLP, Wolf Blass Wines, TELUS, UPS, Scotiabank, BDC and FluidReview.