2017 Atlantic Regional Award Winners Celebrated in Fredericton
September 7, 2017 | Fredericton | Startup Canada
Startup Canada, the national rallying community for Canadian entrepreneurs, today named 10 outstanding entrepreneurs, businesses and support organizations from all over Canada’s Atlantic region as winners of the fourth annual Startup Canada Awards. The winners were announced at a ceremony in Fredericton, NB, attended by leading Canadian investors, innovators and anchor company executives.
The ceremony was hosted by the Opportunities New Brunswick – New Brunswick’s lead business development organization driving economic growth and job creation in New Brunswick.
“Congratulations to all of this year’s 2017 regional award winners,” said Victoria Lennox, Founder and CEO of Startup Canada. “Each and every one of these outstanding recipients have an immense impact on the future of Canada and they all represent the greatness and diversity of our nation’s entrepreneurship community.”
The 2017 Atlantic Regional Award Winners are:
- Anne Whelan, President and CEO, Seafair Capital Inc. | Entrepreneur of the Year, presented by Scotiabank
- Christina Dove, Owner, Newfoundland Chocolate Company | Woman Entrepreneurship Award, presented by Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Jordan Kennie, CEO, Stash Energy | Young Entrepreneur Award, presented by BDC
- Dr. Ali Ghorbani, Founder, Eyesover Technologies | Senior Entrepreneur Award, presented by BDC
- Dhirendra Shukla, Founder, Energia Ventures | Entrepreneur Promotion Award, presented by Opportunities New Brunswick
- Acadia Entrepreneurship Centre | Entrepreneur Support Award
- BlueLight Analytics | Innovation Award, presented by Intuit Quickbooks
- B4CHECKIN | High-Growth Entrepreneurship Award, presented by MNP LLP
- Bibi Lyn Designs Inc. | Social Enterprise Award, presented by Centre for Social Innovation
- Remsoft | Global Entrepreneurship Award, presented by UPS Canada
Rivers Corbett, Entrepreneur in Residence – Opportunities NB and Startup Canada Podcast host, was also announced as an Atlantic Startup Community Leader Emeritus for his outstanding contributions to the startup community. Rivers was one of the Startup Canada founding Board Directors and continues to be a fundamental advisor working diligently to build up the Atlantic and national startup community.
These winners join an esteemed network of award alumni including the Right Honourable Paul Martin, founder of the Capital for Aboriginal Prosperity and Entrepreneurship (CAPE) Fund, Mike Lazaridis, co-founder of Blackberry, Zita Cobb, founder of Shorefast Foundation, and Dax Dasilva, founder and CEO of Lightspeed, among others.
The regional winners will now be evaluated by the National Adjudication Committee; comprised of some of Canada’s leading entrepreneurship and industry experts. The national winners will be celebrated at the Startup Canada Awards Grand Finale in Ottawa on October 19, 2017 following Startup Canada Day on the Hill. Startup Canada Day on the Hill is Canada’s largest national entrepreneurship event convening leading entrepreneurs, innovators, investors, industry executives, and government representatives annually to raise the bar for Canada as a globally competitive innovation nation.
The Startup Canada Awards are proudly presented by Mastercard Canada and Scotiabank in partnership with Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Opportunities NB, UPS Canada, Intuit Quickbooks, MNP LLP, Lockheed Martin, Centre for Social Innovation (CSI), VIA Rail Canada, and Best Western.
For more information and to secure your media pass, please contact:
Marketing, Communications and Digital Production Administrator
About Startup Canada
Startup Canada is the leading national social enterprise supporting and giving a voice to entrepreneurs through online programs, national awards, flagship events, partnerships with private sector and government to foster a community for startup and small business success across the country. Learn more at www.startupcan.ca.